Love is something we cannot live without and we could sure use more love in the world. I am grateful for the love of family and friends, but the love that has sustained me the most is the love of God. Here are five love Bible verses that encourage and teach me about God and how we are to love.
- Deuteronomy 6:5 – “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.
The greatest commandment in the Bible is about loving God with all our heart, soul, and might. With our whole being, we are to love God. Jesus attests that this is the greatest commandment in the New Testament Scriptures in Matthew 22:36-37. There are plenty of reasons to love God.
- 1 Samuel 20:17 – Jonathan made David vow again because of his love for him, because he loved him as he loved his own life.
One of the great friendships in the Bible was between King Saul’s son Jonathan and the future King David. This verse in 1 Samuel speaks to the great love between the two men. The language reminds me of the second greatest commandment about loving your neighbor as yourself. We should strive for such love.
- Psalm 122:6 – Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you.
There is always so much turmoil in Israel and fighting over Jerusalem. A blessing is invoked for those who love Jerusalem. The verb pray is in an imperative form. Love for Jerusalem should inspire prayer for her. The Lord Himself chose Jerusalem as 1 Kings 11:32 states.
- Song of Songs 8:6 – “Put me like a seal over your heart, Like a seal on your arm. For love is as strong as death, Jealousy is as severe as Sheol; Its flashes are flashes of fire, The very flame of the LORD.
Song of Songs is an incredibly powerful book about love. It is the story of a courtship between two lovers. It speaks about the power of love. Love is active, love is passionate, and love is beautiful.
- Romans 5:8 – But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
This is one of the most powerful verses in all the Scripture. It speaks of God’s love for us and how Jesus died to save us from our sins. This is the greatest act of love. Oh how He loves us! How much do we love Him? This is just a small sampling on what the Bible says about love. I picked out these verses as I did a word search on the word love in the Bible. The Bible teaches us about loving God and loving others, but the greater story is the love of God that has been poured out on us. 1 John 4:8 says that God is love and 1 John 4:16 says the one who loves abides in God and God in Him. I know of no better place to be. Sources “Scripture taken from the NEW AMERICAN STANDARD BIBLE(R), Copyright (C) 1960,1962,1963,1968,1971,1972,1973,1975,1977,1995 by The Lockman Foundation. Used by permission.”